A quick, easy & healthy foil packet dinner that takes less than 5 minutes of prep and then cooks itself in the oven. All loaded with yummy tomato, lemon & basil flavors.
This dish reminds me so much of a dish my mom used to make for me as a kid,
Back then I remember it as being mainly fish &
What Fish to Choose For Foil Packets
Most fish types will benefit from cooking in foil packets, and I’ve seen so many yummy recipes for salmon as well as whole fish cooked like this. Whichever you choose – make sure whatever else you put in that packet will be cooked in about the same amount of time. While tomatoes benefit from a bit of overcooking – all the more sauce! – you don’t want to overcook your fish. But at the same time, you want your potatoes to be done. So thin fish filets might not be the best choice.
Cod, on the other hand, cooks in about the same time as the potato slices. I use frozen cod filets for this, but I let them thaw before cooking. Using fresh cod would
Cooking in Foil Packets
Now cooking in a foil pack is one of my favorite
How to Serve Foil Packets
I usually serve my foil packets as they are, all closed up like a little present, and then let my guests do the unwrapping themselves. If you want to, you can also pour it all in a bowl, and have it be more of a stew. Whatever you do – make sure to include the sauce. It’s the very best part of this dish!
Have you made fish in foil packets before? Which type of fish do you prefer to use? Let me know in the comments below!
Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you thought of it
- 4 sheets of aluminium foil large enough to create the packets
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 medium-sized potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1 lemon juice of
- 0.5 lemon sliced
- fresh basil leaves
- 300 g cod filets
- sea salt flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- Set the oven for 225C/440F.
- Place two sheets of aluminium foil on top of each other, positioned so that their ends extend at 90 degrees to each other. Create another packet just like it next to it. Add the butter in pieces to the two packets.
- Place the potato slices on top followed by the tomato slices.
- Follow with lemon slices and fresh basil. Season with sea salt flakes and fresh ground black pepper.
- Top with cod filets and squeeze over the lemon juice. Season with sea salt flakes and fresh ground black pepper.
- Fold the ends of the aluminium foil over the fish to create a well-sealed package.
- Place the foil packets on an oven tray and cook i the middle of the oven for 20 min. After 20 min, take them out and let sit for 5 min. Serve in the packet!
Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.