This post may contain affiliate links, which are always marked with *. Please read my disclosure for more information.
The best Vanilla Muffins are moist, delicious & super easy to make from scratch. With ingredients you probably already have at home this is a recipe you can throw together anytime - yummy just as they are and perfect as a base for your favorite cupcake toppings. Step by step pictures included!
There are a few things every homebaker & cupcake lover needs to have: at least one good icing tip*, a muffin tin* - and a great recipe for vanilla muffins. The two first you can grab at Amazon (just follow the links above) - and the third, well, that's what this post is all about.
Why this is the best recipe for vanilla muffins
- The muffins come out super moist and delicious thanks to the room temperature butter
- It uses common ingredients you probably already have at home - and otherwise you can definitely find them at your nearest supermarket
- It's quick & easy to make - no complicated or time consuming steps required
How to make the best vanilla muffins from scratch
1. To make perfect vanilla muffins from scratch, make sure to start with room temperature butter, milk and eggs. Also, set your oven for 200 C/400 F.
2. Begin by placing your room temperature butter cut in pieces in a bowl and add in the sugar. Mix until fluffy using an electric whisk *.
3. Then add the eggs and whisk * again, until fluffy and smooth.
4. Now place your flour in a separate bowl and mix in the baking powder and vanilla sugar.
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter, sugar & egg mixture and mix again. Mix well, but not more then necessary for it to be well blended. Finally, add the milk and mix until smooth.
6. Now bring out a muffin tray (or a regular oven tray if you don't have one) and line with muffin liners. Scoop your batter into the muffin liners, making sure not to fill them to more than ⅔. Then place in the oven and bake for about 18 minutes. This time will vary slightly depending on your oven, so test your muffins using a cake tester or a tooth pick. When done, it should come out with very little or no batter.
And now you have a beautiful batch of delicious vanilla muffins all ready to eat as they are, or top with your favorite toppings!
- Use a muffin tin* for the best shaped muffins
- Test your muffins with a tooth pick or cake tester to ensure they're cooked just right - it should come out dry, or with just a tiny bit of batter on
- Use room temperature butter instead of melting it - this way you need less flour and therefore get more moist muffins
My favorite tools for making muffins & cupcakes
Frequently asked questions
How does vanilla sugar differ from vanilla extract?
The difference between vanilla sugar and vanilla extract is that for vanilla extract alcohol is used to extract the vanilla flavor from the vanilla beans, and for vanilla sugar, you instead use sugar. Generally you can use either or - and that is also true for this recipe - and in the same amount.
How to eat your vanilla muffins
These vanilla muffins are delicious just as they are - but they're also perfect to use as a base for cupcakes. Some of my favorite toppings include:
- Chocolate buttercream frosting
- Orange ginger cream cheese frosting
- Strawberry frosting
- Salted caramel frosting
Easy Vanilla MuffinsPrint Rate
- 1 cup salted butter at room temperature, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- Start by setting your oven for 400°F (200°C) and place muffin liners in a muffin tin or on a baking sheet.
- Place your room temperature butter and your sugar in a large bowl and mix until fluffy.1 cup salted butter, 1 cup sugar
- Add the eggs and mix well.2 eggs
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients: flour, vanilla powder and baking powder. Then add it to the egg, butter & sugar mixture and mix just enough for it to be well blended.2 cups flour, 2 teaspoon vanilla sugar, 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Add in the milk and mix until smooth.1 cup milk
- Using two spoons, scoop your batter into the muffin liners. Don't fill them more than ¾ of the way as they will rise.
- Place the muffins in the lower part of the oven and bake for 16-20 minutes. Test with a cake tester or tooth pick – it should come out with no or very little cake batter when they are done. Enjoy!
Equipment needed for this recipe
- Measuring cups (metric or US)*
- Use a muffin tin* for the best shaped muffins
- Test your muffins with a tooth pick to ensure they're cooked just right - the tooth pick should come out dry - or with just a tiny bit of batter on
- Use room temperature butter instead of melting it - this uses less flour and therefore gives you more moist muffins
- Top with Strawberry Whipped Cream or Peppermint Whipped Cream for an extra treat - or use them to make Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
- You can use this recipe to make mini muffins/cupcakes as well, it will make about 40 mini muffins. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 10-12 minutes.
- If using unsalted butter instead of salted, add ½ teaspoon of salt as well
How does vanilla sugar differ from vanilla extract?The difference between vanilla sugar and vanilla extract is that for vanilla extract alcohol is used to extract the vanilla flavor from the vanilla beans, and for vanilla sugar, you instead use sugar. Generally you can use either or - and that is also true for this recipe - and in the same amount. Add vanilla extract together with the eggs.
Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.
Now I'm curious! How would you top these vanilla muffins? Or maybe you'd just devour them as-is? Let me know in the comments below! And while you're there - why not leave me a rating and let me know how I'm doing?
Enjoy your baking!
What a great easy recipe! I used coconut sugar and organic unbleached SR flour. Absolutely delicious!
Delicious! I added lemon zest and it was sweet and beautifully zesty. 🥰
I like to stick with the same people when I make recipes and I think after this one I can definitely trust more recipes here! I would listen when she says everything is room temp.... everything needs to be room temp. I did experience a little bit of curdling/separation because my butter was about a midpoint between soft and a little cool but the muffins still turned out really well! I was a little weary about adding milk last but the results were no different. For anyone curious I made jumbo muffins and this yielded me 8 jumbo muffins. I also added the same amount of almond extract with the vanilla extract and it was delicious!
Hi ALexis! So happy to hear they turned out well for you, and that you feel you can trust my recipes! I agree, the ingredients really need to be room temp. There's so much butter in there I sometimes still have the batter separate (I think it can also be affected by the age of the ingredients), but they always turn out great after baking anyway. Excited to hear what you think about my other recipes! /Emmeline
Very yummy! My whole family devoured these, making them again this week!
Delicious! These vanilla muffins are so easy to make. For me, this is an important recipe to get right and you will use it again and again. Thanks.
Thank you, I loved this recipe! Delicious! Light and airy. The recipe definitely works as a cupcake. Have you ever tried them as mini cupcakes/muffins? How long do you think it will take to bake?
So happy you enjoyed them! I have not tried making mini versions but I will get right on testing that for you. /Emmeline
So now I've tried them as mini muffins/cupcakes as well and they take 10-12 minutes to cook (I'd start with 10 and check, depends on your oven). The recipe makes about 40 mini muffins. /Emmeline
Thank you so much Emmeline! I’ll try the minis!!
I loved it my kids too.thank you so much
Incredible! They came out perfect and I put colors on them, my daughter wanted them that way for her birthday.
Made these today👌 perfect with jam!
Thanks a lot.
The best recipe I've ever used.
Thank you Grace! So happy you liked it! 😃
This recipe is total trash I'm sorry to say.
My muffins didn't rise because the recipe doesn't call for baking powder. My gut was telling me to put it in but I took your word for it and didn't use baking powder. Boy was I wrong.
The recipe didn't call for any cooking oil so it basically just stuck to the cupcake paper.
These turned out to be more like trashy scones than a muffin.
Thanks for wasting my flour sugar and eggs fam.
Hi March! I'm sorry to hear that. The recipe does however call for baking powder (2 teaspoons), and the muffins will definitely not rise without it. There is no cooking oil but a good amount of butter so I have never had any problems getting them out of the muffin liners. Maybe this was related to them not rising. Hope you try them out again, this time with baking powder 🙂
Easy and delicious recipe. I used vanilla extract. Will be making these muffins again. Thank you. 🙂
Thank you for your comment Nikki! Happy to hear you liked them! 😃
It says to use 2 teaspoons of baking powder
It does call for baking powder maybe u can't read. And also u over baked it if it stuck to your paper lol
the batter completly seperated after adding the milk and the oven temp was way too high. so i ended up with an oily gross pile of seperated cupcakes.
Hi Mari! I'm so sorry to hear that! Did you use room temperature ingredients? Sometimes when using cold milk or eggs batters can separate. If that happens they usually come together in the oven anyway, but I'm sorry that didn't work out for you. I do hope you give them another try!
The best vanilla muffin recipe I ever made.
My kids loved it!
Thank you, Lena! I’m so happy you and your kids enjoyed them! 😃
My boy just made them with a bit of my help and they’re delicious! Perfect! So moist and just right (sweetness). Love it!
Thank you for your comment, Gem! So happy you liked them! 😀
This recipe is great! The muffins are moist and taste amazing! Just the right amount of sweet and buttery goodness, Yumm! Did not have vanilla sugar and had just used vanilla extract. Turned out very nice 👌
Yum- customize with a light addition of vanilla glaze
Sounds delicious, Mary!
Please check the metric unit conversions, they seem off. Specifically the flour, milk and butter
Hi Esther! Good catch 😉 You're right, the conversion isn't 1-to-1 on this recipe. I've actually created two recipes - one with US measurements and one with metric. I find that's the best way to end up with good baking recipes that are also easy for users in both systems (for example, it's difficult to measure 1.2 cups). Both versions are thoroughly tested and delicious, so whichever one you use you will end up with delicious muffins - with just a slight difference. /Emmeline
Yes, I wonder at what point do you add the milk, just in with the rest of the wet? it seems like a ton of milk and butter, I agree. I wish I'd read through the recipe a little better before starting! (In the US)
Hi Heather! You add the milk after the dry ingredients, it’s in step 5. Not sure about a lot of butter and milk, for me I’d say it’s just the right amount 😊 Hope they turned out well for you! /Emmeline
Okay, I saw the milk-addition line, not sure how I missed it! Continued following the recipe as indicated and they turned out great. Little butter-cakes for sure, but very delicious and everyone loved them!
So happy they turned out well for you! Thank you for coming back and rating.
Perfect recipe, thank u a lot
Happy you liked it! Thanks for rating! 😀
These were delicious! They were a little dry. We used whole wheat flour (all we had), maybe that caused it? I will definitely be making them again because they are such a hit but I wondered about adding a little sour cream to help keep them a little more moist. Thoughts?
Hi Andrea! It was probably the whole wheat flour that caused the dryness, happy to hear they still turned out tasty though. Whole wheat flour absorbs more liquid than does all-purpose flour so then you need to adjust for that, which can be tricky with baked goods since it's really a science and the ratios need to be correct. If you make them again I would really recommend making them with all-purpose flour instead! And if you try any other substitutions, please let me know how it turns out so I can share it with other readers. /Emmeline
Wanting to make these, but converting Meausurements gives flour and sugar etc in mils.
Can you covert to grams please.
Hi Karagh! Of course, I added grams as well now. Let me know how they turn out for you!
Best vanilla muffins! My 3 & 6 yr old grandsons are muffin snobs and obsessed with these. How can I give it a delicate orange flavor? Thank you!
Hi Rose! So happy you and your grandsons like them! For a bit of orange flavor I would use half the amount of vanilla and add the zest from maybe half an orange. I haven’t tried it myself but it should work well to follow the instructions for my lemon muffins just with orange zest instead: https://alwaysusebutter.com/lemon-muffins/ (it’s the same base as the vanilla muffins). Let me know how it turns out!
Nart | Cooking with Nart
These look delicious and super easy to make. I know what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow!
Thank you Nart! That sounds like a very nice breakfast 😋
Laura | Wandercooks
These were sooo easy and tasted soooo good!! I'll be making again!
Thank you Laura so happy you liked them!!
You can't bean a classic muffin like vanilla. These look so light and fluffy.
Nope, you’re right about that!
Can I use this to make a standard vanilla cake?
Hi Tania! I haven’t tried that, I think it should work but I’m not sure about the baking time. Please let me know how it turns out if you try it! /Emmeline
This classic recipe of vanilla muffins/cupcakes is so helpful to use at any time. I love to customize desserts, so this recipe is a keeper.
Thank you Irina! Same here, love adding my favorite toppings to a vanilla muffin!
We love vanilla muffins, and this recipe was so easy to follow too! Will definitely be making these again.
Thank you Tonje, so happy you liked it!
Heidy L. McCallum
These muffins were so wonderful! We also tried the different icing as suggested and they were amazing too. Bookmarking to make again.
So happy to hear that Heidy!!
Karen @ Seasonal Cravings
Wow you give the best tips and so many step by step photos, I love this!! I agree that this is an important recipe to get right and you will use it over and over.
Thank you Karen!!
Delicious!! I had to sneak a few that were cooling for the baby shower tomorrow...
Thank you Ashley!
Marlynn | Urban Bliss Life
These vanilla muffins are so easy and flavorful!
Thank you Marlynn!