This post may contain affiliate links, which are always marked with *. Please read my disclosure for more information.
For this delicious baked seafood pasta, un-cooked fresh tagliatelle is layered with parmesan cheese and a flavor packed shrimp & mussel sauce seasoned with garlic, white wine, lemon & marjoram before being baked to perfection. This creamy, cheesy seafood pasta bake is an easy recipe that is just as perfect for a weeknight as for your weekend dinner party.
Few dishes from my childhood are in my mind so often as this one. I don't know why I didn't ask my dad for the recipe until just recently, because over the years I have had serious cravings for this dish. The secret, it turns out, is loads of white wine, lemon and parmesan (not surprised) - and marjoram.
Marjoram, yes. Not a spice I use a lot to be honest. I was even surprised to find it in my overflowing spice cabinet, so I guess I used it for something, sometime. Turns out it's a very nice spice. Not as common a flavor as basil or rosemary or thyme, my normal go-to's - which makes it all the more interesting.
Anyway. This is a delicious easy dinner dish and I am so excited to share it with you guys today. I think you are going to love it - I know I do.
Why you will love this recipe
- It's so easy to make. Yes, the shrimp & mussel sauce requires some cooking but it honestly doesn't take a lot of time or effort and after that you just layer everything and let it cook itself. You don't even need to cook the pasta first!
- White wine, garlic, lemon & seafood - is there a better flavor combination?
- All that lemon cutting the fat and making this seemingly heavy dish a lot more lightweight. Yes, there's still a lot of carbs & fat (all the good stuff!) in there, but you don't get that annoying too-full feeling after.
Yes, you can definitely reheat it. It can make the shrimps & mussels a bit chewier, but it's still tasty. Lika with all food, don't reheat it more than once and make sure to store it cold to keep bacteria away.
Yes, you can abolutely freeze it. For best results when reheating, let it thaw in the fridge before heating up.
- Plaice filet can be substituted for another type of white fish filet.
- Yellow onion can be substituted for another type of onion, especially shallots.
How to make it
First things first: don't forget to thaw your shrimp. Just take them out, spread on a plate and then either leave in the fridge for 8 hours or so or leave out on the counter for 1-2 hours. I usually do the latter because I always forget it but thawing them slowly in the fridge is supposed to be better from a food safety perspective as well as taste.
Once they're thawed, go ahead and peel them and chop them up roughly. You still want to feel the shrimp pieces but you just want them a little bit smaller. Then chop up your onion, garlic and fish filet, squeeze your lemon, drain your mussels, shred your parmesan - and you're ready to go. No need to cook the pasta for this one!
Oh and don't forget to set your oven for 200C/400F as well!
Now we start with the shrimp & mussel sauce we will layer the the pasta casserole with. Start by pouring your white wine into a pot and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, add in the fish bouillon cube and mix until it's entirely dissolved. Then pour in the lemon juice.
Next, we mix in the chopped onion and garlic and follow with the seasonings: marjoram, salt & black pepper. Mix well and bring back to a boil.
Once the sauce is boiling again, add in the mussels and let it simmer for a minute. Then turn off the heat and mix in the shrimp.
Now it's time to start layering! Start out by greasing an oven pan with butter - my pan is about 20x30 cm (approximately 8x11''), so if yours is around there that's perfect. A bit smaller or a bit bigger won't hurt though!
After greasing, place half the tagliatelle in the bottom of the pan. Follow with half of the shrimp & mussel sauce and half of the parmesan. Make sure to spread it out as evenly as possible!
Then add the rest of the tagliatelle, shrimp & mussel sauce and parmesan cheese. Finally, pour over the cream or half and half and make sure all the pasta is submerged - if not, just tuck them under the surface.
Now we bake for about 30 minutes. Check after 20 minutes or so to make sure it's not getting to much color - if it is, just cover it with some tinfoil. But you do want it to get some nice broweness!
And that's it! Top with some parsley if you want to make it pretty, or just serve as it is. Either way - it's 100% pure deliciousness.
More delicious pasta recipes
Can't get enough of pasta? Me neither! Here are some of my other favorites:
- Creamy Red Wine Pasta Sauce with Chicken & Mushrooms
- Tortellini al Forno with Spinach
- Chicken broccoli pasta bake
- Spinach & sun-dried tomato pasta bake with chicken
- Salmon crème fraîche pasta
- Smoked salmon spinach
- Spicy saffron shrimp pasta
Seafood Pasta Casserole with White WinePrint Pin Rate
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 fish bouillon cube
- ⅔ cup lemon juice about 2 lemons for 4 servings
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 small plaice filet finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ lb canned mussels in water drained
- ½ lb peeled shrimp roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ⅔ lb fresh tagliatelle
- 1 cup parmesan shredded
- 1 cup cream full fat, cooking cream or half and half
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley optional
- If using frozen shrimp: Bring them out well ahead of time and let thaw. Then peel them and set aside for now.
- Set oven for 200 C/400 F.
- Place a pot over medium-high heat and pour in te white wine. Bring to a boil then add the bouillon cube and mix until completely dissolved.
- Add in the lemon juice together with the chopped garlic, onion and plaice filet. Then add marjoram, salt and pepper. Mix and bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels, mix and bring back to a boil. Boil for one minute and then turn off the heat and mix in the shrimp.
- Bring out an oven safe pan that's about 20 x 30 cm / 8 x 11 ” with high sides. Butter it and then add in half the pasta. Follow with half of the mussel & shrimp sauce and half of the parmesan. Then add the rest of the pasta, the rest of the mussel & shrimp sauce and the rest of the parmesan. Pour over the cream and make sure all of the pasta is submerged. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Bring out, top with parsley (optional) and serve immediately!
- Plaice filet can be substituted for another type of white fish filet
- Yellow onion can be substituted for another type of onion, especially shallots
Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.