Christmas Sangria takes the best simple version of the sangria you know and love, and seasons it for the Holidays.
If Sangria’s not really your thing, or you’re just looking for some more Champagne in your life – check out this Holiday-approved Cranberry Champagne Cocktail instead.
Or is bittersweet more of your flavor? The Clementine Campari Cocktail has loads of that!
And for something non-alcoholic, there really isn’t anything better than the Sober Santa Christmas Punch.
Don’t you just love a good Sangria in the summer? I know I do. But the spicy red wine mixed with orange flavors has always brought me a hint of Christmas feelings, even when sipping it in 35 degrees in the middle of July. So this Christmas I thought – if a standard Sangria tastes a bit like Christmas, why not make it taste a LOT like Christmas? And so I did. And it came out delicious.
It’s all the good things about Sangria & Christmas brought together in a perfect Holiday Cocktail. Spicy, slightly sweet (but not too much!) a little bit sparkling and oh so very refreshing. And as an added bonus, it’s far less heavy on the alcohol than your regular spirit and mixer cocktails. That’s always a winner in my book!
This Christmas Sangria is also great to make for a crowd, especially if you want to have it sitting there all night and let your guests help themselves. The cloves and cinnamon will just keep infusing it and make it all the more tastier as the night wears on. Just adjust the number of the servings in the recipe card below and mix everything except the soda water in a punch bowl or jug. Then prep the glasses with decorations and let the guests top off their own glasses with the soda water for a bit of a sparkle.
Sangria not your thing? Good thing I have a few other Holiday-appropriate cocktails for you!
If Champagne‘s what your looking for – check out this Cranberry Champagne Cocktail.
Or is bittersweet more your type of flavor? The Clementine Campari Cocktail has loads of that!
If non-alcoholic is what you’re after, there’ really isn’t anything better than the Sober Santa Christmas Punch.
So this weekend, take a break from all the Holiday prepping and make a nice Holiday Cocktail. And let me know what you think, OK? Just leave a comment and/or a rating below, I love to hear from you! And if you share your creation on Instagram – please tag me and use the hashtag #alwaysusebutter!
Christmas SangriaPrint Rate
- 10 cl fruity & spicy red wine eg a Côtes du Rhône
- 10 cl orange juice without pulp
- 1 slice of orange
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon rod
- 5 cl soda water
- 0.5 slice of orange
- whole cloves
Preparation - 5 minutes
- Start by prepping the clove-infused orange by sticking the cloves into the skin of the orange slice. If making multiple serving it's easier to stick them into the orange while it's whole and then slicing it.
- Pour the wine and orange juice into a glass (or a bowl or jug if making multiple servings). Split the orange slice into four pieces and place them in the glass with the wine and orange juice. Add a cinnamon rod and let sit to infuse for at least 30 minutes.
Serving - 1 minute
- Add in the soda water and decorate the glass with half an orange slice stuffed with cloves.
- Use a fruity & spicy red wine for this - I like a Côtes du Rhône like Les Dauphins (72458)
- This cocktail works well to make for a group - just adjust the number of servings, make it in a punch bowl and top up the individual glasses with soda water just before serving