Add a new quick, easy and healthy dish to your regimen with this delicious One-pan Fish & Broccoli in Lemon Butter Caper Sauce. One pan is really all you need, and it mainly cooks itself in the oven – now how’s that for an easy dinner?
As you might know by now – I’m somewhat of a lemon addict (Lemon & Rosemary Quick Chicken Stew and Breaded Plaice with Whipped Lemon Butter, anyone?). I just can’t get enough of it! That’s why sometimes, just before I fall asleep, I start fantasizing about all things lemony and come up with a dish like this. No, I don’t usually go to bed hungry – but when you’re a hardcore food nerd that’s kinda what happens anyway.
Anyway, I came up with this recipe (probably a bit inspired by all the lovely Piccata recipes floating around Pinterest!), went to sleep and proceeded to cook up a storm the day after. And wasn’t it lovely.
Classic white fish pairings like white wine, butter and cream are joined by generous amounts of lemon juice and a handful or so of small capers. Broccoli is added to the mix and then it all goes in the oven. 10-15 minutes later – you have your dinner ready. Serve just as it is or over rice for an extra treat (The sauce with rice to soak it up? Oh my god, that’s GOOD!).
This recipe became one of my staples straight away – I love it for its delicious flavors and the ease of it (One pan, stick it in the oven, eat? Yep, that’s a winner for sure!), but also for the healthy aspect of it. Yes, there’s cream. Yes, there’s butter. Yes, there’s even a bit of white wine in there. But looking at the overall dish it’s basically fish and broccoli – which means you need that fatty sauce to keep you full! Nothing bad in there – just real food, loads of vitamin C and a healthy dose of iron.
Promise you’ll try this, OK? It’s so tasty, and so easy, and I’m sure it’ll soon be a staple in your home as well.
Please leave a comment and/or a rating and let me know what you think – I love hearing from you! And if you post about this on Instagram – I’d love for you to tag me @alwaysusebutter and use the hashtag #alwaysusebutter.
Until next time,
One-pan Fish & Broccoli in Lemon Butter Caper SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 100 ml white wine
- 150 ml cooking cream
- 50 ml capers
- 1 lemon juice of
- 0.25 tsp salt or to taste
- 200 g white fish plaice filets, cod or other white fish
- 250 g broccoli cut in florets, stem peeled and chopped
- Set oven for 200 C/390 F.
- Heat a wide pan that can be placed in the oven (eg a cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pan, then pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Let reduce for 2-3 minutes.
- Add i the cream and bring back to a boil. Reduce for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add in the lemon juice and bring back to a boil. Cook for a minute.
- Take off the heat and add in the capers. Taste and season with salt.
- Place the fish filets in the bottom of the pan and place the broccoli on top. Spoon up some sauce and coat the broccoli.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on what fish you choose. For thin plaice filets, 10 minutes is enough, for thicker fish filets like cod 15 minutes might be needed. Check by poking a fork through the fish - if it's flaky, comes apart easily and is white inside it is done.
- Serve as it is, or over rice.
Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.