This post may contain affiliate links, which are always marked with *. Please read my disclosure for more information.
In this post you will find out how I made $7 674 from food blogging and what I'm doing to grow my traffic even further. I hope you will get as much value from these, as I have from other bloggers' income reports! Find all the income reports here.
Why I share my income reports
I decided to start sharing my income reports for four reasons:
- Keep myself accountable! What better way to make sure I reach my goals, than to share them with you?
- Give back! I've found so much value from other bloggers' income reports over the years, it's time I started sharing what's working for me as well!
- De-mystify blogging! Food blogging is a marathon, not a sprint - and entirely possible to succeed with.
- I love sharing my journey! And I hope you enjoy following along.
May 2023 Recap
May was another great month. Organic traffic was down slightly vs April - likely due to the "summer slumpe" - but MSN more than made up for it. In the end May was my best month yet - both traffic and income wise.
I kept creating a lot of slideshows for MSN - at least 1 new per day - and also tried to keep up and get ahead with all the other things like creating new posts and updating old ones.
More specifically, this is what I did this month:
Published 4 new recipes:
Published 3 new SEO:d resources and roundups:
- April 2023 Income Report
- 20 Light Dinner Ideas for Summer
- What to Serve with Fried Rice - 30 Easy Ideas!
Other things I did:
- Updated 6 recipes
- Created 30+ new slideshows for MSN
- Republished older slideshows on MSN
May 2023 Traffic
|April 2023||April 2022||Growth|
|Page views||317 450||112 700||182%|
|Sessions||251 087||97 138||158%|
May was my best month yet and it blows my mind that I finally had a month over 300 000. And by quite a bit!
As you can see my page views grew more than my sessions. This is great! It means that every time a person clicks over to my site, they visit more pages than before. Users clicking over from MSN are especially good at this!
Organic search: 66%
Referral: 20% (a lot of MSN traffic is grouped here)
My organic traffic % has gone down - a year ago it was 74%. This is great and a goal of mine for this year. The more even the % between the different sources, the better, and the less vulnerable I am to changes in specific algorithms.
My US traffic % has grown a lot (it was 54% a year ago) thanks to MSN traffic. This is also great, as it means higher RPMs.
May 2023 P&L
Let's see what this traffic brought me in terms of monetary results!
May 2023 Income
|April 2023||April 2022||Growth|
|Total Ad Income||$7 608||$1 919||296%|
The increase in RPM goes against the trend in the market - most bloggers see lower RPMs this year. My increase is a lot thanks to my MSN traffic. It's mainly US based, on desktop, and they visit more pages once they arrive on my site.
I've also made income from MSN but I don't get those numbers until earlliest end of July. It should be somewhere around $3 000, but I won't include it until I know for sure. This means May was in reality probably my first month above $10 000 - this has been a MASSIVE goal of mine.
Total income: $7 674
May 2023 Expenses
I run my own business full time and divide my time between food blogging and business consulting. Here I only include the expenses that are directly related to my food blog - other shared expenses like cell phone costs, company car, new computer, etc. are not included here.
Nerdpress: $379 (these guys are my lifesavers!!)
The Insiders Mastermind: $395 (this is how I can publish to MSN!)
RankIQ*: $29 (RankIQ has really helped me grow my traffic!)
Lightroom & Premiere Pro: $45
Feast Plug-in*: $8
Big Scoots hosting*: $48
Canva* (for making collages & printables): $10
Akismet (site security): $7.50
WP Recipe Maker: $7
Total expenses: $2 025
April 2023 Profit
|Profit:||= $5 649|
The profit above does not take into account taxes.
Now this is money I can work with.
Goals and Plans for June
Last month before summer holidays, and I plan to push to the end!
Pageviews: 330 000
Total income: $8 500 ad revenue
June Action Plan
- Post at least 4 new recipes
- Post at least 4 new resources & roundups
- Publish 4 slideshows in total to MSN - combo new & updated
- Find a new VA to help me with web stories, facebook, and more
- Find a writer to write AP posts and guest posts on other sites for me
- Shoot all recipes until end of September to be well ahead after summer holidays
- Write posts at least until end of August - hopefully I can finish September as well!
- BE SMART! MSN is giving great traffic and who knows how long this will be the case. It also gives great RPMs! So doubling down on that for now.
- Pack up my life! In the beginning of July I move me and the dog to a HOUSE!!!
I hope you got some value out of this income report. If you did - please leave a comment below and let me know what was most valuable to you! And if you have any questions, please reach out through commenting or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
All the best luck for June!