The best Vegetarian Tacos I’ve ever had are filled with refried black beans, crumbled feta cheese and topped with heaps of homemade pico de gallo. A quick and easy vegetarian taco recipe that’s sure to have you coming back for more!
There are a few things I love above all else, and tacos, refried beans, feta cheese and pico de gallo (Remember the one we made last week? This is what we use it for!) sure make the list. So put them all together, and what happens?
Magic. Magic is what happens.
How to Make Vegetarian Tacos at Home
Making Vegetarian Tacos at home is super easy, and the great thing is that – just like with any kind of taco – you can add whatever you like. I usually go for some combination of the following: a leafy green, a hot star ingredient, cheese of course, and some kind of spicy sauce.
A leafy green
For my leafy green, I prefer baby spinach or, like here, arugula. I like these kinds for the extra flavor they bring. But, if all you’re looking for is something that looks pretty & gives the whole thing a vitamin boost, then iceberg lettuce or the like works as well.
Or just whatever you have in the fridge. To be completely honest – this is probably what I do most often.
A hot star ingredient
In this version, the star ingredient is the refried beans. But it could just as well be crispy fried tofu, fried mushrooms, or your favorite meat substitute with taco seasoning. Choose your favorite!
There are two things standing between me and vegan food: fish sauce & cheese. Perfect to top any kind of taco with, for
Pro tip? Add it on top of the hot ingredient so it melts, or just softens, just a tiny bit.
Depending on the flavors of my tacos & what I have in the fridge I go for shredded mild cheese, cheddar or crumbled feta cheese.
Spicy (or not so spicy!) sauce
I love my spice and I’m not really sure you can call it a taco unless it’s at least a tiny bit spicy. Or well, of
I usually go for a more or less traditional salsa – often a cold, chopped version, but sometimes the store bought cooked version is just what I want.
For this specific
With these four components in
Having friends over? Everyone loves a taco party, with loads of different components to mix and match from. Why not make your next one vegetarian?
What are the cornerstones of your perfect vegetarian tacos? Let me know in the comments below!
Vegetarian Tacos with Black Beans, Feta Cheese and Pico de Gallo SalsaPrint Pin Rate
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 800 g canned black beans drained
- 100 ml hot water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp chili
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 70 g arugula
- 150 g crumbled feta cheese
- 1 batch Pico de Gallo Salsa
- Make the Pico de Gallo Salsa and set aside for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make the tacos.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add in the onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Crumble the stock cubes in the hot water and mix to dissolve. Add the mixture to the saucepan together with the black beans, cumin and chili. Cook for 10 minutes, and add more water if it starts to look dry.
- Take the refried beans off the heat and mix with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Top each tortilla with arugula, black beans, crumbled feta cheese and Pico de Gallo Salsa, or serve each component separately and let everyone compose their own tacos.