Healthy salmon is seasoned lightly, pan-fried quickly, and deliciously paired with a super easy Ginger Avocado Salsa to make the perfect healthy Salmon Tacos. All with just a few short minutes of cooking, loads of health benefits and even more taste!
Tacos. Tacos tacos tacos. I have a slight taco problem and I make some kind of taco at least once a week. That’s why I try my best to come up with versions that are a bit better for you. Either by making them vegetarian (like the perfect Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos) or by exchanging all the not-so-healthy-stuff for all of the good stuff, like for these salmon tacos.
Are Salmon Tacos Good For You?
Salmon tacos can be a great healthy choice – just as long as you choose the right way of preparing them, and the right condiments.
Read on to get my suggestions for how to do just this!
Health Benefits of Salmon
Salmon in and of itself is generally very good for you, and it contains several vital substances that are often hard to get enough off through just food. So adding a bit more salmon to your diet might be just what you need!
Most people are aware of
If you want to know more about the health benefits of salmon, this article comes up with a full 11 health benefits of eating salmon.
Preparing Healthy Salmon Tacos
Many fish taco recipes call for deep-frying the fish. As with all deep-frying, it’s both delicious and not all that good for you. So by all means, go ahead and deep-fry your fish once in a while. But for those every day, more health-focused meals, make this healthy pan-fried no-batter version instead.
Sides for Healthy Salmon Tacos
A great thing about fish tacos is that they lend themselves so well to healthy toppings. While I rarely enjoy my meat or chicken tacos without loads of cheese on top (I’m talking LOADS!), when I have fish tacos in general – and these healthy salmon tacos in particular – I’d much rather pair them with a nice, chunky and flavorful salsa and some leafy greens. And maybe some greek yoghurt, just to get that creaminess.
How to Make Healthy Salmon Tacos
OK, time to talk about this particular recipe. These salmon tacos are super quick to make, and I bet when you’ve tried them once you will soon make them again.
The first step is to chop up your salmon nicely, season it with salt and chili flakes and mix well. Then set it aside for at least 10 minutes to absorb the flavors before cooking. Let it sit longer if you like, but decrease the amount of salt a bit if you do.
How to Make Ginger Avocado Salsa
Making the ginger avocado salsa is almost as simple as making the salmon. There’s just a bit more chopping involved. But once you’ve chopped and grated everything, just mix it and season according to taste. Let sit for a few minutes to let the flavors set, and then serve. Easy, right?!
Oh and if you have leftovers? Delicious with tortilla chips! So maybe make some extra while you’re at it…
How to serve Healthy Salmon Tacos
When you have your salmon fried and your ginger avocado salsa done, time has come to enjoy all this deliciousness. Grab a tortilla, add some leafy greens (I like arugula for some pepperiness, but baby spinach is also a great choice), add some salmon and top with a generous helping of ginger avocado salsa. Maybe add dollop of greek yoghurt, and serve with a lime wedge to squeeze as you please.
What’s your favorite way to eat Salmon Tacos? I’d love to hear in the comments below! Did you try this? Rate it and leave a comment, and let me know what you thought! And if you post about it anywhere – please tag me @alwaysusebutter and use the hashtag #alwaysusebutter!
Salmon Tacos with Ginger Avocado SalsaPrint Pin Rate
- 300 g salmon cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 Tbsp chili flakes
- 0.5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.5 Tbsp butter
Ginger Avocado Salsa
- 0.5 medium-sized cucumber finely chopped
- 0.5 red onion finely chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger finely grated
- 10 g fresh cilantro chopped
- 1.5 limes juice of, according to taste
- 1 tsp honey
- 0.5 tsp chili flakes adjust to heat and taste
- 0.5 tsp salt according to taste
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 70 g arugula or other leafy greens
- 150 ml greek yoghurt or other natural yoghurt
- 3 lime wedges
- Mix the salmon with the chili flakes and salt. Set aside to let the flavors set, for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, taste test and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Set aside to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- When the salmon has rested for 10 minutes, heat a pan over medium-high heat an add in the vegetable oil and butter. When hot, add in the salmon and fry for a few minutes until cooked on all sides. Cook all the way through (about 2 minutes) or leave a pink center, depending on your preferences.
- Make the tacos by taking a tortilla and placing arugula or other leafy greens and the cooked salmon on top. Top with the ginger avocado salsa and greek yoghurt. Serve with a lime wedge on the side.
- If you wish to let the salmon rest longer – reduce the amount of salt
- Make it even healthier by using whole wheat tortillas
- If you don’t like spice – start with half the amount of chili flakes.