This Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta with Crème Fraiche is quick & easy to make and full of flavor and rich creaminess, all set to become one of your new favorite dishes!
Do you want to know a secret?
This recipe didn’t turn out at all as planned.
Don’t get me wrong. It’s absolutely delicious. So delicious in fact that it’s now a vital part of my repertoire. But it’s not at all what it was supposed to be.
The truth is, I was trying to make an international version of my old tried and tested and made over and over again chicken pasta with feta cheese and basil. I say “international” because I usually make it with two kinds of seasoned crème fraiche, and I am quite sure that even if you could find that outside of Scandinavia (can you even?) they’re probably not the same flavors or at least not the exact same taste. But I love my chicken pasta with feta cheese and basil so so much that I knew I had to make a blog version, just for you.
And so I did. Or, well, I planned to. I got all my spices and crème fraiches and chickens and pasta together and started cooking away. But then somewhere halfway (or, what I thought was halfway) I tasted it and it was already so so so good. And I hadn’t even added the feta cheese! Or the basil! Or the tomatoes!
So then I thought: Maybe less is sometimes more? Maybe you don’t need the feta cheese or basil or tomatoes for this? Maybe fewer ingredients is actually better?
And then I thought: But what about that remaining half jar of sun-dried tomatoes… More sun-dried tomatoes is DEFINITELY more.
And so I proceeded to chop up the remaining sun-dried tomatoes and called it a day. And that was the birth of the creamy sun-dried tomato chicken pasta.
The end result?
Did I mention it’s delicious?!
The salty sun-dried tomatoes mingle so perfectly with the acidic crème fraiche, and the tomato purée adds a nice roundness and a punch of umami. There is so much flavor, and all from so few ingredients. It really is a quick & easy dish with all the flavor and none of the fuss.
I’m feeling this would make a perfect Friday night dish, don’t you?
If you make this Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Chicken Pasta with Crème Fraiche, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you and to see your versions of my recipes – that’s why my favorite thing ever is when you tag me on Instagram whenever you show off your creations!
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta with Crème FraichePrint Pin Rate
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 500 g chicken thigh filets cut in bite-size pieces
- salt and ground black pepper for seasoning the chicken
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and in one piece, but slightly crushed
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 500 ml crème fraiche
- 150 g sun-dried tomatoes weight excl. oil, chopped
- 0.25 tsp black pepper
- 300 g penne pasta cooked 1 min less than package instruction
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Melt the butter over medium heat and season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Place garlic in pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the chicken and cook until just cooked through, 5-6 minutes. Meanwhile, start cooking the pasta.
- Remove the chicken and set aside for now. Place the pan back over the heat with the melted butter, chicken juices and garlic still in it. Add in tomato puree, dried basil, paprika powder, onion powder and oregano and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then remove the garlic cloves.
- Add in the creme fraiche, sun-dried tomatoes and black pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- When the pasta is 1 minute from full cook time, drain and add in to the crème fraiche sauce together with the chicken. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, taste and season as desired with salt. Serve!