This Creamy Chicken Pasta has loads of Feta cheese melted into a creamy crème frîche sauce, where it mingles with basil and cherry tomatoes to create the perfect companion for chicken & pasta.
Quick enough for a weeknight – and yummy enough for a Saturday. This is the dish I crave whenever I go traveling for a while and can’t cook – so I’m sorry but yes, it’s quite addictive.Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. If you buy something through one of them, I receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you). These links are always marked with *.
Sometimes I think this blog should have been named “always use Feta” instead of “always use butter”. Because to be honest, I probably use Feta Cheese just as often as I use butter. How could I not? It goes so well with everything! Top a salad? Yep. Make a healthy sauce? Yep. Stuff a piece of chicken? Or maybe a date? Oh yes. For breakfast? Why the hell not!
And then we have the whole concept of Feta cheese that’s been melted into a creamy crème fraîche pasta sauce together with chicken, basil and cherry tomatoes… And trust me, it’s a good one!
Remember a while back when I made the Sun-dried Tomato Chicken Pasta, and I told you it was really supposed to be something else entirely? Well, this is what it was supposed to be.
Both are craving inducing full-flavored pasta dishes, so the choice between them really comes down to what you’re currently craving more: sun-dried tomatoes or Feta cheese? I know – it’s a tough choice! Quite certain the next version will include them both…
Why This Recipe Works
This creamy chicken pasta is full of flavor and comes together quickly – all to ensure you can have a delicious dish on the table in minimal time.
Why this recipe is such a star in my book?
- Chicken thigh filets are the best part of the chicken (at least if you ask me!) – with so much more flavor than the filet. And cheaper!
- Tomato puree adds loads of umami flavor as well as a pretty color.
- Deglazing the pan after frying the chicken ensures you don’t miss out on any of the yummy caramelized flavors at the bottom of the pan, which adds a whole new richness to the dish.
- Crème fraiche makes the sauce super creamy while not making it too heavy – it’s my number one go-to for making creamy pasta sauces.
- Feta cheese adds umami & a bit of complexity, and gives the dish a nice saltiness.
- Basil and cherry tomatoes added just at the end add a freshness to the sauce, along with some nice acidity from the tomatoes.
- Adding pasta to the sauce as opposed to serving it over the pasta ensures every single piece of pasta is generously coated with sauce, and leaving it on the heat for just a minute allows the pasta & sauce to come together to create a complete dish rather than two separate components.
- Cooking your pasta 30 seconds shorter than usual ensures perfectly cooked pasta after cooking it for a minute in the sauce.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Pasta with Feta Cheese, Basil & Cherry Tomatoes
Start by cutting your chicken thigh filets into bite-size pieces, chopping your Feta cheese & fresh basil and cutting cherry tomatoes in quarters.
Then get your pasta cooking – and cook it about 30 seconds less than usual (60 seconds less if making it for lunchboxes).
To start the sauce, place a pan over medium-high heat and add in butter & vegetable oil. When hot, add in the chicken and season with salt and black pepper.
Cook for 6 minutes, mixing occasionally to ensure all sides get cooked, and add a bit more salt and black pepper after flipping the pieces.
Once the chicken is done and white all through, add in your tomato purée.
Mix and let it cook for a minute.
Then deglaze the pan with water.
“To deglaze” is just a fancy word for pouring liquid into a pan in order to dissolve all the flavor that’s stuck to the bottom of the pan. In this case we do it with water, but it’s often done with wine or stock as well.
Add in the crème fraiche, followed by your paprika powder, onion powder and black pepper. Save the salt for later. Mix well.
Let the sauce heat up, then add in the Feta cheese.
Mix well and leave to cook for at least 5 minutes, until the Feta cheese is mostly or completely melted. Taste test and add more spices as needed, but hold off on the salt for now.
Mix in the cherry tomatoes and chopped basil. Then add in the pasta, mix well, and leave on the heat for a minute. Taste test and add salt if needed.
And now you’re ready to serve!
What to Do with Leftover Chicken Pasta
Leftover Chicken Pasta makes a perfect lunchbox. If you’re making it specifically for lunch boxes – go ahead and cook the pasta a whole minute less than usual, instead of just 30 seconds less.
Your Chicken Pasta will keep for at least 3-4 days in the fridge, so go ahead and enjoy it all week if you like.
Now I leave this delicious dish in your hands – make it, love it, and make it again!
And as always – I love to hear from you, so please let me know what you think in the comments below! And if you leave a rating as well, you will for sure make my day!
Creamy Chicken Pasta with Feta Cheese, Basil & Cherry TomatoesPrint Rate
- 0.5 Tbsp butter
- 0.5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 400 g chicken thigh filet cut in bite-size pieces
- 0.5 tsp salt for seasoning the chicken
- 0.5 tsp black pepper for seasoning the chicken
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 50 ml water for deglazing the pan
- 400 ml crème fraîche
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 0.5 tsp black pepper for seasoning the sauce
- 150 g Feta cheese chopped
- 20 g fresh basil chopped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes cut in quarters
- 250 g pasta cooked 30 s less than package instruction
- 0.5 tsp salt for seasoning the sauce (according to taste)
- Place a pan over medium-high heat and add in butter & vegetable oil. When hot, add in the chicken and season with salt and black pepper. Cook for 6 minutes on all sides, and add a bit more salt and black pepper after flipping the pieces.
- Once the chicken is done and white all through, add in your tomato purée. Mix and let it cook for a minute, then deglaze the pan with water. Deglazing is done by pouring the water into the hot pan while still on the heat, and then mixing to dissolve all the flavorful pieces that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the crème fraiche, followed by your paprika powder, onion powder and black pepper.
- Let the sauce heat up, then add in the Feta cheese. Mix well and leave to cook for at least 5 minutes, until the Feta cheese is mostly or completely melted. Taste test and add more spices as needed, but hold off on the salt for now.
- Mix in the cherry tomatoes and chopped basil. Mix.
- Add in the pasta, mix well, and leave on the heat for a minute. Taste test and add salt if needed. Serve!