This “Caulislaw” mixes cauliflower, carrots & red onions with a perfectly balanced mayonnaise dressing. It’s the perfect side for your next barbecue, or why not top your burgers with it? Quick, healthy and low in carbs it’s a versatile side you’ll be coming back to over and over again.Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. If you buy something through one of them, I receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you). These links are always marked with *.
I call this raw cauliflower salad a “Caulislaw” because it’s like a Coleslaw, but includes my favorite ingredient Cauliflower – which makes it so much tastier! And while cabbage is known to cause bloat and other, ehm, “not so nice”, intestinal issues (OK yes, I’m talking about farting), I’ve never had any of those issues with Cauliflower.
Because there are two things every barbecue needs: a simple barbecue sauce and a tasty slaw. Whether you’re serving it with pulled pork, fried chicken, or burgers… this caulislaw is a must have for barbecue season!
Why I love this Caulislaw
- A nice crunch from raw cauliflower & carrots
- A bit of sweetness from the carrots
- A nice spicy kick from red onions & a good amount of French Dijon mustard
- Perfectly balanced dressing with mayonnaise, milk, French Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt & black pepper
- Quick & easy to make with store-bought mayonnaise
- Easier on the stomach than a regular coleslaw since cauliflower is used instead of cabbage
Expert tips for making Cauliflower Salad
- Use store-bought mayonnaise, it’s good enough for this one (I like Hellman’s but any decent kind really does the job).
- Slice your red onion as thin as possible to spread that sweet & spicy flavor all through the slaw.
- Shred your carrots with a larger shredder – you want to keep it crunchy.
- Make your dressing in a jar with a lid (mine’s an old taco sauce jar!) to make mixing it together super easy.
- Adjust the seasoning of the dressing to suit your taste – add more or less Dijon mustard to make it more or less spicy, adjust the amount of lemon juice to balance acidity and add salt & pepper as needed. As always – tasting as you go is the key to success!
- Chill for at at least 30 minutes before serving, to allow the flavor to spread throughout – or make it the night before even. It keeps very well for at least 2-3 days in the fridge, and the flavor just increases.
How to make Raw Cauliflower Salad
Then mix together your veggies – cauliflower, red onion and carrots. Mix well, and make sure to separate all the slices of red onion from each other to really spread the flavor throughout the salad.
When your veggies are mixed, set them aside and start with the dressing. Bring out a jar with a lid, open it and add in mayonnaise and milk.
Then add in the rest of the ingredients – French Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Screw the lid on thightly (So important! Or you’ll have dressing all over your kitchen…), shake your jar vigorously, and then open the lid and taste test. Adjust seasoning if needed.
When you’re happy with the seasoning, bring out your veggies again. Pour over half of the dressing and mix well, almost massaging the veggies with the dressing as you go. Then add in the rest of the dressing, and repeat.
Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. (More is even better! It will keep very nicely for at least 2-3 days, all while the flavor sets & builds even more.)
And tada! Now you have a raw cauliflower salad, or Caulislaw, ready to serve with anything you desire.
Tools to help you make itThe links in the collage below are Amazon affiliate links which means that if you buy something through one of my links I receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you).
So what will you serve with this caulislaw? Let me know in the comments below! And oh, please leave a rating while you’re at it!
Raw Cauliflower SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 1 small cauliflower 1 small cauliflower = about 500 g/1.1 lb
- 1 small red onion
- 2 carrots
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise storebought or homemade
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard or other French mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 1 Tbsp = about half a lemon
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp black pepper
- Start by slicing your cauliflower and red onion very thinly. Then peel your carrots and shred them. Place in a bowl and mix.
- In a jar with a lid, place all the rest of the ingredients: mayonnaise, milk, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Close the lid tightly and shake to mix. Open the jar and taste test – adjust seasoning if you wish.
- Pour half of the dressing over the vegetables and mix well, then pour over the rest of the dressing and mix again. Serve immediately, or place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving for increased taste.
Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.