The best chicken tenders I’ve ever had! This easy homemade version is slightly healthier as they’re baked in the oven instead of fried. Simply seasoned with just salt and pepper but so delicious to dip in your favorite barbecue sauce, put in wraps or why not serve together with waffles? Or just finish them all straight from the oven, they’re THAT good!Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. If you buy something through one of them, I receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you). These links are always marked with *.
Why I love these Chicken Tenders
- They’re the best ones I’ve had. Better than McDonald’s, better than Burger King, better than any sports bar I’ve ever been at (and I love my sports bar foods!). They’re just the best.
- A bit healthier since they’re baked in the oven instead of fried.
- Quick to make – on the table in 25 minutes!
- Full of flavor with just simple seasoning.
- Speaking of simple – you probably already have all the ingredients at home.
- So versatile! A perfect snack or appetizer, but also delicious to serve alongside some vegetables or carbs for a filling dinner. Or why not put them in tacos, wraps or salads?
Expert tips for making crispy oven baked chicken tenders
- Use a kitchen thermometer to check if they’re ready – they should reach 72 C/161 F.
- Switch up the breadcrumbs! I’ve made this with panko as well, and actually ended up preferring the smaller regular kind of breadcrumbs. I encourage you to find your favorite!
- Seasoning the flour makes all the difference. I use only salt and pepper for this simple version, but you could add any spices and herbs you like. Test it out and find your favorite seasoning!
- Don’t like getting messy? Use plastic gloves when breading your chicken!
- Use your favorite cut of chicken. I love chicken thigh filets, but maybe your more of a breast filet kinda gal or guy? Then use that!
- Making this for a crowd? Just follow this easy rationale to calculate how much chicken you need:
- 1 lb (450 g) makes about 25 chicken tenders
- 4 oz (115 g) makes about 7 chicken tenders
- For 10 chicken tenders you need 6-7 oz of chicken
How to make oven baked chicken tenders
You know the best thing about this recipe? (Apart from this being the most delicious chicken tenders ever!) You don’t really need to chop anything. Amazing, right?! So just heat up your oven to 225 C / 440 F and let’s get started!
Start by prepping everything. You will need to get your knife out – but I mean slicing chicken is far easier than chopping onion, right? So start by slicing the chicken thigh filets into the size you want your chicken tenders to be. I slice each filet in 3-4 pieces, but you could go smaller or larger as well. Just adjust the baking time if you do!
After slicing the chicken, start prepping your breading stuff. That means seasoning your flour with salt and pepper and mixing up your eggs…
… and of course, pouring out your breadcrumbs on a plate.
Then start breading your chicken – use plastic gloves if you don’t like getting messy. Bread each piece of chicken by first covering it in seasoned flour, then dipping it in egg, and finally turning it in the breadcrumbs. Now at each step, make sure your chicken tender gets completely covered. This will make for the best result!
After breading a piece, place it on a baking tray covered with a baking sheet. Continue until all tenders are breaded, then place in the middle of the oven and bake for 15 minutes, turning once halfway.
After 15 minutes, take out your chicken tenders, check to make sure they’re finished – and serve!
Tools to help you make it
How to serve chicken tenders
Here are some of my favorite ways of serving chicken tenders. Missing your favorite? Let me know in the comments below, and I might just include it!
- In tacos
- In wraps
- To dip (barbecue sauce, whipped feta and ranch dip are all amazing with these)
- In salads
- Headlining as the chicken in “chicken and waffles”
- With french fries for pure indulgence
- Just as they are, straight from the oven. They’re THAT good!
Either way you decide to serve them – I am sure you’re going to love this recipe! What did you think? Please let me know in the comments below! And I’d love for you to leave a star review while you’re at it!
- 400 g chicken thigh filets
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 dl breadcrumbs
- Start by setting your oven fr 225 C/440 F and place a baking sheet on top of an oven tray.
- Cut your chicken thigh filets into smaller pieces. I do 3-4 pieces per filet.
- Pour the flour onto a small plate and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Crack the eggs into a deep dish and beat with a fork.
- Pour the breadcrumbs onto a small plate.
- Bread your chicken by turning the pieces first in the seasoned flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs. At each step, make sure the chicken gets completely covered. Then place the pieces on the baking sheet.
- When all chicken tenders are breaded, place the oven tray in the middle of the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn them once halfway.
- After 15 minutes, take them out and check to make sure they are done. Serve any way you'd like – with a dip sauce as a snack or appetizer; put in wraps, tacos or salads; or serve with a side of veggies or fries. Either way, enjoy!
Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.