This post may contain affiliate links, which are always marked with *. Please read my disclosure for more information.
These 58 ideas for healthy breakfasts to go are quick, healthy & can all be grabbed straight from the fridge. Perfect for those busy mornings when you still want to have something healthy - and, of course, delicious!
We've all heard the saying: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Now, these days the opinions as to the necessity of breakfast vary - but if you're still on team Breakfast is Important this post is for you.
For me have breakfast has to be quick and easy - not to mention yummy - and preferably something I can grab while running out the door. These healthy breakfasts to go all fit that bill.
Why you will love these recipes
- They're healthy which means no refined sugar, no white carbs and no red meat
- All preppable all the way so you can just grab and go in the morning
- They're great cold so you don't even have to heat anything
- All yummy and will keep you satisfied until lunch
- Easy to make without any complicated steps
- Quick to prep so even that will be a breeze
Why a healthy breakfast is important
For me, having a healthy (or at least healthy-ish) breakfast is important for a number of reasons:
- It starts the day of right - with a healthy start I have an easier time making healthy choices the rest of the day
- I want the right kind of energy - I'm tired enough in the mornings, so I need something that will give me energy without weighing me down
- It's the meal I care the least about - so it's where I can most easily make healthy choices without feeling that I'm sacrificing anything
What are healthy breakfast foods?
We could debate this one forever, so let's just get to what I consider to be healthy. First of all what I would exclude from a healthy breakfast is:
- Any added sugar - instead, look for foods that are un-sweetened or sweetened by fruit alone (and not in any excessive amounts!). A dash of honey might get the thumbs up, but not much more.
- All white bread, cereals or other empty carbs
- Red meat - I love it, and I have it, but it's really not necessary for breakfast
What I would try to include is:
- Healthy fats
- And lots of great flavor!
Tips & tricks
- Plan for the week - most smoothies are best prepped the night before, but most other recipes below can be prepped for the whole week (or even further ahead)
- Keep it simple - having the same breakfast every day, at least for one week, makes it so much easier to prep
- Get variation with frozen options - breakfast muffins are great to freeze
- Make it portable - store in suitable containers that are easy to transport, won't leak, and which you can eat from as well
To go straight to one of the categories just click the links below - I've included healthy breakfasts to go in the following categories:
- Breakfast Smoothies
- Sweet Breakfast Muffins
- Savory Breakfast Muffins
- Breakfast Jars
- Breakfast Bars
- Breakfast Chocolate & Candy
- Coffee & Breakfast All in One
- Dinner for Breakfast
A smoothie is a classic when it comes to healthy breakfasts to go, and while you can buy it on every street corner the prices they charge are ridiculous! Get a few reusable smoothie cups* instead and they will pay for themselves in what? A day or two?
And while smoothies are always best when made fresh - you can make these the night before. Because we're all into speed in the morning here.
For more tips, check out this guide for how to how to make healthy smoothies.
Sweet Breakfast Muffins
Another classic option for healthy breakfasts to go is the breakfast muffin. When you're looking for a sweet treat to start your day, a muffin is an easy way to go. Just make sure there's not too much sugar in there!
Savory Breakfast Muffins
Savory Breakfast muffins pack lots of nutrients into a small package. Easy to grab and go these muffins keep you full for hours. Why not grab an extra muffin for an afternoon snack?
Having your breakfast ready to go in a jar in the fridge (or freezer!) is maybe the easiest thing ever. Whether you like chia, yogurt or oatmeal - you can have it just the way you like.
Make sure to grab some leak proof food containers* to prep your breakfast in.
A breakfast bar is maybe the easiest breakfast you'll ever find. Stock your bag with these bars and be always ready with healthy breakfasts to go!
Breakfast Chocolate & Candy
Some mornings you wake up and just really want some chocolate or candy. Well, I will still try to have a healthy breakfast and then having that healthy breakfast look & taste like candy is an amazing option.
Adding unsweetened cocoa powder to your favorite breakfast smoothies or jars is a great way to get that indulgent start to the day!
Coffee & Breakfast All in One
Sometimes there's just no time - but you still need both breakfast and your coffee fix. Save time with these healthy breakfasts to go where the coffee is already mixed in!
Dinner for Breakfast
If you're like me - dinner for breakfast is where it's at. These dishes are a great option for healthy breakfasts to go - but will work any time of the day.
Did you enjoy this collection of recipes?
Let me know which recipe was your favorite in the comments below!