Puff Pastry Pizza is an easy & delicious way to make pizza – here it’s deliciously salty, savory & subtly sweet, topped with a mild blue cheese, sliced red apples, green asparagus and crumbled up kale chips
Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. If you buy something through one of them, I receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you). These links are always marked with *.
Why this recipe works
- Easy to make with frozen store-bought puff pastry
- Salty tanginess that’s not too overpowering when you use a mild blue cheese
sweetness from red apples to balance the blue cheese Subtle
- Earthy yumminess & added health points with in-season green asparagus
- Salty crispiness from the Kale chips and adding lemon to them provides an extra boost of freshness
- Perfect for dinner, an appetizer or as part of a buffet or tapasspread
How to Make Kale Chips
Start by separating your kale into smaller pieces, making sure to remove the hard stem. You can use the chopped & bagged kale for this, just make sure to check for pieces of stem and remove them.
Then place all your Kale in a bowl and add olive oil, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon.
Mix well and massage your Kale for a few minutes. This breaks down the tough fibers of the kale and makes it a lot nicer to eat.
Pour out onto an oven tray lined with baking paper and spread out evenly.
Bake in the oven at 150 C / 300 F for 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to ensure they’re not burning, and leave for another five if they need a bit
Take out from the oven and set aside to cool down & get the final crisp. Meanwhile, make your puff pastry pizzas!
How to Make Puff Pastry Pizza with Blue Cheese, Apples & Kale Chips
Start by bringing out your frozen puff pastry and let it thaw until soft. This takes about 15
Then start with the first layer – the crème fraîche. Scoop out one heaping tablespoon of crème fraîche on each piece of puff pastry and spread it out evenly.
Cut a notch in each corner of the puff pastry – this helps make the pizza turn out nice and not too puffed up.
Then season with fresh ground black pepper.
Now add the sliced cheese evenly, and follow with apple slices and chopped asparagus.
When you’re satisfied with your toppings (the kale chips will be added later!), bake your pizzas in the oven at 225 C / 440 F for 15 minutes.
When your pizzas are beautifully golden brown, remove from the oven and bring out your kale chips. Grab a handful, and crush them up sightly while spreading out over the pizzas. And now you’re ready to serve!
How to Serve Puff Pastry Pizza
This puff pastry pizza is a yummy indulgent lunch or dinner – and each pizza will feed one very hungry person.
More commonly though, I serve puff pastry pizza as an appetizer or as part of a buffet or tapas spread. Each pizza makes 6 good-sized pieces so as an appetizer or as part of a larger spread, one pizza will be enough for 3-6 people.
Not sure what to pair it with? Well if you ask me, it goes wonderfully well with my good old favorites Feta Stuffed Dates and Bacon Wrapped Dates. But I sure wouldn’t mind it as a starter for a Shrimp Risotto either!
Have you made puff pastry pizza before? Or maybe you’ll make it now? Let me know in the comments below! And while you’re at it – if you leave a review as well you’ll really make my day!
Puff Pastry Pizza with Blue Cheese, Apples & Kale ChipsPrint Pin Rate
Kale Chips with Lemon
- 100 g Kale weight refers to chopped Kale in bag, before removing stems
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- a pinch of sea salt
- a squeeze of lemon juice
Puff Pastry Pizza
- 200 g puff pastry 1 piece = usually 100 g
- 2 Tbsp crème fraiche
- fresh ground black pepper
- 140 g mild blue cheese sliced thin
- 2 apples sliced thin
- 5 green asparagus chopped
Kale Chips with Lemon
- Set the oven for 150 C/300 F and then start by preparing your kale by removing the stems (if any) and dividing the leaves into maller pieces. Place in a bowl. Prepare an oven tray by lining it with a baking sheet.
- Add olive oil, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon to the kale and mix. Massage your kale for a few minutes and then spread it out on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, checking once after 15 minutes to ensure they’re not burning. When done, take out and set aside to cool down and crisp up. Raise the temperature to 225C/440 F for the pizza.
Puff Pastry Pizza
- Line another oven tray with a baking sheet and roll out your puff pastry as thing as possible. Place it on the baking sheet.
- Add one heaping tablespoon of crème fraîche to each piece of puff pastry and spread out evenly. Cut a notch in each corner to ensure your pizza doesn’t get too puffed up. Then season with fresh ground black pepper.
- Add the blue cheese slices, apple slices and top with chopped asparagus.
- Ensure that the oven is at 225 C/440 F and bake your pizza in the oven for 15 minutes, until beautifully golden brown.
- When done, take out the pizza and bring out your Kale chips. Grabbing a handful at a time, crush them up slightly in your hand while topping your pizza with them. And now you’re ready to serve!
- 2 people as a filling lunch or dinner
- 6-12 people as an appetizer
- 6-12 people as part of a buffet or tapas spread
Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.