This post may contain affiliate links, which are always marked with *. Please read my disclosure for more information.
Buffalo Bacon Loaded Sweet Potato Skins are a deliciously indulgent and easy-to-make treat, filled with bacon drenched in buffalo sauce, baked with cheese on top and topped with the very best blue cheese sauce.
My recipes start out in all kinds of ways. Some have been recurring favorites for as long as I can remember, others are adaptations of restaurant dishes, a few are my versions of something I've seen on a blog or Pinterest and just fallen in love with, yet others spring from a random idea I just can't get out of my head, like a combination of flavors I'm totally in love with. Then there's the final category, where I just throw together stuff I love and see what happens.
This recipe definitely belongs in that last category.
Well, it's a bit inspired by what I've seen around as well. Loaded Sweet Potato Skins just seemed like such an awesome idea from the first time I saw it.
I've had a love affair with regular Potato Skins since I was a kid, and still go to a specific Stockholm restaurant (Oliver Twist, if you're wondering) to get them once in a while. But Loaded skins? And Loaded Sweet Potato Skins? Come on, sounds too good to be true.
And if something sounds to good to be true - what else is there to do than make it even better? So I brought together the old gang - bacon, buffalo sauce, cheese and the very best blue cheese sauce - and went to work.
And then I made it again the next day. Call me obsessed or whatever, but I just had to.
So why don't you treat yourself this weekend? Cook up a batch of these loaded sweet potato skins, grab a beer, and devour it all in front of a good TV show (yep, I totally ate mine in front of Jane the Virgin) or some kind of sports if that's more your thing. Just make them - you're worth it!
Looking for something else Buffalo flavored? Check out these mouthwatering options:
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 30-minute Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
- 15-minute Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Bites or Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos
- Buffalo Cauliflower Puff Pastry Pizza
Did you make this? If so, please leave a comment and/or a rating below! Or just leave a comment anyway. I love hearing from you! And as always - I love to see your own versions of my recipes, so please tag me if you post it on Instagram.
Buffalo Bacon Loaded Sweet Potato Skins with Blue Cheese SaucePrint Pin Rate
Blue Cheese Sauce
- 150 g blue cheese crumbled
- 100 ml sour cream
- 50 ml mayonnaise*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice about half a lemon, according to taste
- 1 tablespoon milk to desired consistency
- 0.25 teaspoon salt according to taste
- 0.5 teaspoon black pepper according to taste
Buffalo Bacon Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 100 ml hot sauce
- 50 g butter
- 300 g diced bacon
- 100 g shredded cheese
Blue Cheese Sauce
- Place blue cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in a bowl and mix together with an immersion blender.
- Add lemon juice according to taste and then add in milk to reach desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Place in the fridge until the rest is finished, at least 30 min.
Buffalo Bacon Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- Set the oven for 175 C/ 350 F.
- Clean the sweet potatoes thoroughly and, using a fork, make small wholes all over. Place on an oven tray and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 h - 1h 15 min, until fork tender. Then take them out and let rest for 5-10 minutes until cool enough to handle.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooling, increase oven temperature to 225 C / 440 F and make the buffalo sauce by melting the butter and mixing in the hot sauce.
- When cooled, cut the sweet potatoes in half and scrape most of the sweet potato out of the peel. Leave a layer about 0.5 cm or 0.2'' thick. Set the scraped out sweet potato aside for now.
- Brush the inside of the sweet potato skins lightly with the buffalo sauce. Then place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the sweet potato skins are baking, fry the bacon. When done, place on a kitchen towel to remove some of the fat.
- Bring out the sweet potato you removed from the skins and chop it roughly. Mix it into the buffalo sauce together with the bacon.
- Bring out the sweet potato skins and fill them up with the bacon, sweet potato and buffalo sauce mixture. Top of with the shredded cheese and place back in the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
- When the sweet potato skins are finished, bring them out and top them with the blue cheese dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.
This looks yummy! I’ll have to see if I can make a vegan version of it!
Oh yes, that would be amazing! Hmm vegan butter & hold the blue cheese? I think it would be a winner anyway!
Looks yummy and delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
You are very welcome! Thank you for commenting! 😀
Bookmarking this recipe! Looks delicious!
Thank you so much Kaycee!
Sincerely Miss J
These loaded potato skins recipe looks tasty. Very interesting combination with the bacon and blue cheese.
Thank you! I just put my 3 favorite things together and it turned out quite delicious 😉
Wow..this looks very delicious. I would like try new foods. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much!
Oh my God! This recipe is making me hungry. Now you got me thinking about lunch. You take great food photography. Yummy!
Thank you so much, Stephanie!
Creative recipe. This would be a hit with the family.
Thank you, Blair!
I like sweet potatoes, it is so delicious! I wouldn't mind trying it your way as well
Same here! Thank you for commenting and let me know if you try it!
This looks good. You sold me at 'blue cheese sauce.'
Thank you, Rosey! Oh yeah blue cheese sauce - one of my favorites!
thanks for sharing this recipe. but as im a vegetarian so i may not taste it.
Haha, I get that! Thanks for commenting anyway, Elizabeth! Would be delicious without the bacon as well though, maybe topped with some chopped fried tofu drenched in buffalo sauce instead? 😀
This recipe makes me feel hungry so YUMMY I would try to do this save post !
Thank you for commenting! Love when my recipes can induce hunger pangs 😉
I love sweet potatoes, so I will definitely have to give this recipe a try sometime. Thank you for sharing it!
You are very welcome! Thank you so much for commenting, and I hope you try it!
Not gonna lie... I saw the title of your post and I jumped next to my boyfriend because I knew it is something that he would like. Potato skins with blue cheese!? Yes please! Sign me up! This would be a great Super Bowl snack.
Thank you, Kristen! Loved this comment!
OmG, Im so hungry now! This going to be my supper tonight!
Haha I love it! Thanks for commenting!
I am a huge sweet potato fan! These would be awesome to make in a big batch for entertaining for football tailagtes too!
I think you're on to something there, Jenna! I'm also thinking I will try making them on the barbecue this summer...
Wow love the ingredients on this recipe! Will definitely try it
Thank you for commenting, Sharon! So happy you like it!
There is nothing more comforting than a stuffed potato on a cold winter day. These buffalo bacon loaded sweet potatoes with blue cheese sauce will be on a consistent rotation at our house!
Thank you for commenting, Kelly! So happy you like it!
I love regular potato skins and I can't believe I've never made sweet potato skins!! I love all the toppings in this, it's definitely going on the menu!
Thank you for commenting, Pam! These are basically all my favorite toppings all thrown into one dish 😉
Your recipes are always a treat Emmeline! Trying it this weekend.
Thank you so much Lola! Hope you enjoy!
Bacon and blue cheese is such an amazing combination. My husband would love these.
Thank you for commenting, Dannii! They are some of my very favorites 😉
How good do these look!! Yum, I love that they are sweet potatoes as they are a bit healthier than normal starchy ones. Great recipe!
Thank you, Adrianne! Yep they're a bit healthier so maybe it makes up for all the butter and bacon 😉