Healthy, creamy and delicious! And all in just 5 minutes. This whipped feta cheese is made with greek yogurt, seasoned with garlic and fresh basil and is equally addictive as a dip, sauce or spread. Keto, low in carbs and vegetarian – just as a bonus.Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. If you buy something through one of them, I receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you).
Why I love this recipe
- Feta cheese will always be a winner in my book, as it pairs so well with almost anything: meat, fish, chicken, bread or chips – they all love a good feta cheese!
- Greek yogurt adds a touch of well-needed acidity
- Fresh basil and minced garlic fill out the flavor profile and make it more complex
- Easy to adjust to your taste & what’s in the fridge – all you really need is a piece of Feta cheese and something to mix it with (yogurt, crème fraîche, olive oil or something else), and maybe some seasoning. You do you!
- Use a food processor if you have one, or an immersion blender for the creamiest result possible
- If you don’t have either you can smash the feta cheese with a fork and either mix it up by hand or by using a mixer – less creamy, equally delicious!
- If you don’t have fresh basil, you can also use dried basil
- Any type of creamy dairy (or non-dairy!) product will work as a substitute for greek yogurt – my other favorite is using crème fraîche, but cream cheese and sour cream are delicious as well
- Using it as a spread? Decrease the amount of greek yogurt drastically, or substitute it entirely for olive oil.
How to make Whipped Feta
Start by placing your feta cheese, minced garlic and fresh basil in a food processor (or a bowl, if not using a food processor).
Follow with greek yogurt and black pepper. Then put the lid on and get ready to mix.
Mix until creamy and smooth, then taste test and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
How to serve Whipped Feta Cheese
Whipped Feta Cheese goes with almost anything, in my book. Here are a few of my favorite ways to serve it, but I am sure you can come up with even more delicious ways! If you do – please let me know in the comments below and I might just add your favorite to the list
- As a sauce for fish – like for my Lemon Pepper Salmon with Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- As a sauce for chicken, or to stuff chicken breasts with – like for my Feta Stuffed Chicken.
- As a dip for tortilla chips
- With bread, as an appetizer (or as my go-to breakfast if I had a few too many glasses of wine the night before…)
Versions of this recipe
There are so many versions of this recipe, here are a few of my favorites but I encourage you to try it out and come up with your own favorites as well. If you do – please let me know in the comments below and I might just add your favorite version here.
- Crème fraîche instead of greek yogurt makes an even creamier version with more fat and less acidity
- Olive oil instead of greek yogurt creates a denser and more spreadable whipped feta
- Sun-dried tomatoes are a delicious addition
- Addin lemon makes it even more perfect as a sauce for fish
- More garlic to spice things up a bit
- Rosemary instead of basil for a delicious twist, especially suitable for your garlic & rosemary seasoned lamb chops…
- Any other herbs you like – just grab what you have or what you love and make this sauce your own
Tools to help you make it
Whipped Feta Cheese with BasilPrint Pin Rate
- 150 g Feta cheese
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 2 dl Greek yogurt or other type of natural yogurt
- 0.25 tsp ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Close lid and mix until creamy and smooth. Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Substitute greek yogurt for crème fraîche, olive oil or cream cheese
- Substitute basil for any other type of herb – for example rosemary
- Add sun-dried tomatoes or lemon to change the flavor profile
- Immersion blender
- Regular blender
- Regular electric mixer